Office of the Registrar » CUNY e-Permits

CUNY e-Permits

You may access the Medgar Evers Student E-permit Guide by clicking here.

The online permit process allows students to make arrangements to take courses at OTHER CUNY COLLEGES without having to directly contact both the home and host colleges for approval. This process intends to provide a convenient means of obtaining permission to register for courses offered at other CUNY colleges. This will enhance the opportunity to graduate on time and allow students to pursue academic interests not offered at their home colleges.

students who wish to take a course at another CUNY school can fill out the ePermit application in CUNYFirst. The request will reviewed by the Registrar’s Office, and within 2-3 business days students will receive a decision on their request on the ePermit page in CUNYFirst. If approved, the Host College (where you want to take the course), will set up an enrollment appointment (This can take up to a week). The approval of an ePermit does not guarantee you a seat in a course/section.

CUNY e-Permit Guidelines

Undergraduate and Graduate students may apply for an e-Permit and must follow CUNY-wide policies and procedures and John Jay College bulletin/permit guidelines presented below:

To be eligible for a permit you must:

  • Be matriculated and currently in attendance at the Home College;
  • If an undergraduate student, have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.00;
  • Prerequisites apply to permit courses and must be adhered to. All prerequisites must be completed before submitting a permit request.
  • Not have any holds on your record;
  • Have met all the HOME College requirements, such as required immunizations and residency.
  • First time freshman or transfer students are not permitted to register for permit courses.

Each permit request is for a single course and its equivalent. Thus, a student needs to complete a permit request for each equivalent course he/she would like to take at other CUNY Colleges. Courses taken on permit must meet the student’s outstanding degree requirement.

You may cancel your request to take a permit course at any time before your registration at the Host College. If a student enrolls in a course at the selected HOST College and decides not to attend the course, it is the student’s responsibility to cancel the course registration at both the HOME and HOST campuses as well as the ePermit request. The student must notify his/her HOME College of the cancellation before classes begin to avoid tuition liability and to prevent any academic consequences.  ePermit course cancellation adheres to the CUNY refund policy dates and deadlines published in the academic calendar.

Tuition Payment: The Home College Bursar will bill you for your tuition. Students eligible for financial aid are to apply through their HOME College and are responsible for meeting any credit load requirements. If you are unable to register at the Host College, your financial aid and TAP may be affected if you do not remain full-time. Courses for which material fees are applied are paid by the student to the HOST College.

Full-time Status: If the permit course is being used to calculate full-time status (a minimum of 12 billable credits), the approved permit course must be one that will meet degree requirements for the program in which you are matriculated. If the credits for the permit course are more than twelve for the semester or six for the summer session, the course does not have to satisfy degree requirements.

There may be a limit to the number of permit credits allowed. Please check your Home College Catalog.

Permits will not be issued to:

  1. A non-degree student.
  2. A readmitted matriculated student who is not currently enrolled or who does not need the permit course for graduation.
  3. An incoming newly matriculated student who requests a permit for the semester or summer session preceding his/her effective term of admission.

How to initiate an ePermit in CUNYfirst (Undergraduate)

    1. Log onto CUNYfirst and from your CUNYfirst Home Page, click on the “Student Center” tile
    2. Click on the “Academic Records” tile
    3. Click on “ePermit” in the left-hand navigation
    4. Undergraduate students are recommended to use the “Add ePermit with Equivalent Courses” option, select the appropriate Term and click Continue
    5. Use the Browse Catalog to select the Lehman College course equivalent. (I.e. click on the letter “L” to look for course subjects that begin with L). Then click on
      the respective subject to review the courses under the selected subject
    6. Once you have found the desired course, click on the “Course Title” link
    7. Click “Fetch Equivalent CUNY Courses” to search for equivalent courses across all CUNY institutions
    8. Select one or multiple institutions by checking the box next to the institution under “Request ePermit.”. You may also click on “View Class Sections” to view open sections at the Host Institution. Once you have selected the  institution, click on “ePermit Form
      *NOTE: Students should not submit duplicate requests for the same course/institution
    9. Select the appropriate Permit Type. Example: General Elective or Major Elective
      NOTE: If you are in the CUNY Baccalaureate program, select CUNY BA as the permit type. The CUNY Baccalaureate program is for a specific cohort of students. If you are not part of this program (you may click on the link above for more information) do not select this option.
    10. Select the appropriate “Host Session for the Host College (ex. Regular, 1, etc.). Type any additional comments if applicable. Once the host session has been selected, you may click the Submit button.

    How can I check the status of my submitted ePermit?

    Once submitted, the status of the ePermit can be checked through CUNYfirst at any time by clicking the “Search ePermit” functionality

    1. Select the Term and Institution (Lehman College)
    2. Once the semester and the institution are selected, all the requests that have been made will appear on the page. Select the ePermit request that you wish to check the status for and press “Continue”
    3. If the boxes are blue, that signifies that they are currently pending approval from their respective departments. If the boxes are green, that signifies that it has been approved by their respective departments. When all boxes appear green, that signifies that your ePermit request has been approved.
      DISCLAIMER: Approval of your ePermit request does not automatically enroll you into the course. You must still enroll in the course through CUNYfirst once the host institution has processed your request.

    How to cancel an ePermit request?

    1. Go to the ePermit page on CUNYfirst and use the Search ePermit functionality. Select the appropriate term and your home college (Lehman College)
    2. Select the request which you would like to cancel
    3. Click on the “Cancel” button located on the bottom right corner of the ePermit form
    4. Once the ePermit has been cancelled on CUNYfirst, ensure the course at the HOST College has been dropped on CUNYfirst prior to the first day of classes to avoid tuition liability

    Disclaimer: ePermit requests may be cancelled up to the 3rd week of classes. If a student enrolls in a course at the selected HOST college and decides not to attend the course, it is the student’s responsibility to cancel the course registration at the HOST campus and cancel the ePermut request through CUNYfirst.