Bursar » Residency


New York State Residency

Students applying for in-state tuition must have resided in New York State, with the intent to stay, for at least one year prior to the first day of class for the semester in which they are applying for a determination. Students must submit proper documentation with the MEC Office of Admissions in S-120. You are responsible for the payment of any and all out-of-state tuition by the tuition due date on your bill until your request for New York State residency status has been reviewed and a decision has been made in your favor. If a determination is made in your favor at a later date, you may be eligible for a tuition refund.

Nonresidents of New York State and Out-of-status (Undocumented) Students

Nonresidents of New York State and out-of-status (undocumented) students who attended a New York State high school for at least two years and graduated, or obtained a New York State GED diploma, may apply for in-state tuition if they apply to CUNY within five years of receiving their diploma.

For more detailed information on City University of New York regulations regarding establishing New York State residency, visit University Tuition & Fee Manual.

Students Are Expected to be Aware of Their Tuition Status and the Applicable Resident Tuition Rules

Students are expected to be aware of the requirements necessary to qualify for State residency which are set forth on the Medgar Evers College web site as well as The City University Tuition and Fee Manual. Students are also expected to be aware of the resident and non-resident tuition rates, which are available on the CUNY web site, among other places, so that they know if they are being charged the correct tuition rate when they received their tuition bill.