Medgar Evers College CHAMPSS Program. Complete Your Degree at No Cost to You!
Through a generous grant from the Office of the Mayor of New York, Medgar Evers College received a $20 million grant, the largest in institutional history. With this transformative gift, we are implementing the MEC Cultivating Holistic Academic Mindsets to Promote Student Success (CHAMPSS) Program, designed to provide first-year and new transfer students with earned associate degrees, comprehensive support services that include financial, social, academic advisement to ensure successful matriculation experience at the College, leading to the completion of a baccalaureate degree.
Participation and Criteria
The program will launch in the Fall of 2022 with 255 students in the initial cohort. To participate students are required to complete an application and must meet the following requirements:
- New and current full-time, degree-seeking MEC students or transfer students
- 2.0 or better Grade Point Average
- A resident of New York
- Completed FAFSA and must be Pell Grant eligible
Students selected for the CHAMPSS Program at MEC will be required to sign an agreement that requires them to fully participate in all programs and activities. Failure to abide by the expectations of the program may result in students’ losing eligibility for the program.
Program Hallmark Incentives
- Financial Assistance to close cost of attendance gaps.
- Book scholarships
- Metro cards to assist with transportation
- Priority advisement and registration
- Scholarship support
- Professional learning and student development opportunities
- Communications Skill-Building Enhancement
- Tiered mentoring opportunities with faculty/staff and peers
- Access to counseling services as needed
Staff and Advisors
The dedicated staff of the CHAMPSS program will work with the students to ensure each student is supported every step of the way. Participants will be guided towards completing 30 credits per academic year to keep them on track to graduate in four years (bachelors) and two years (transfers with associates). By integrating the appropriate academic and social supports in the program, students will be able to focus on their education without the distractions and challenges that can often derail success.