The Department of Developmental and Special Education has two nationally accredited professional dual-certificate degree programs, which are among the few dual-certificate programs in general education and special education offered at the undergraduate level in New York City.
The current degree programs are:
Teacher candidates must select one of the following concentration content areas. Click on the links below for course offerings and requirements:
Graduates from these two-degree programs gain initial NY State certification to work with young children and elementary-aged students with and without disabilities. Our Childhood Special Education graduates can be found in many NY City public, private and charter schools, while our Early Childhood Special Education graduates have careers in early intervention centers, Head Start programs, and in inclusive and specialized PK-Grade 2 classrooms.
Benefits of a Dual-Certificate Degree in General Education and SPED
Students who graduate with one of our dual-certificate degrees in general education and special education will find that career paths can be extremely diverse. Our graduates will become certified to teach in the classroom and many of our graduates choose to become full-time lead special education teachers immediately following graduation. Some of our graduates have used their initial certifications to catapult them onto career paths open to people who have a special education degree. These careers include:
- Special Education Classroom Teacher (starting salary: $57,000-$70,000)
- Early Childhood Special Education Classroom Teacher (starting salary: $57,000-$70,000)
- Early Intervention Specialist (starting salary: $40,000-$80,000)
- Special Education Advocate (starting salary: $37,000-$65,000)
- School Counselor ($60,000-$70,000)
- Daycare Director ($41,000-$100,000)
- Reading/Math Specialist (starting salary: $57,000-$70,000)
- Resource Room Teacher (starting salary: $55,000-$75,000)
- Interventionist (starting salary: $45,000-$55,000)
- Behavior / ABA Therapist (starting salary: $52,000-$78,000)
- Principal / Assistant Principal (starting salary: $75,000-$125,000)
Minor in Education
- Early Intervention - The Department’s minor in Early Intervention attracts students majoring in the liberal arts and sciences or provides additional credits for professionals working in early childhood settings.