Financial Aid » Types of Financial Aid

Types of Financial Aid


Federal Pell Grant (FPELL)

FPELL is an award to help first-time undergraduates pay for their education after high school. A first-time undergraduate is one who has not earned a bachelor’s or first professional degree. The award is based on financial need rather than academic achievement. You must be a U.S. Citizen or a Permanent Resident who meets income criteria in order to qualify for a Federal Pell Grant.

To be eligible for Title IV Assistance, an applicant must meet the following general eligibility requirements:

  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment at a college
  • Be a matriculated student at a college
  • Must have a high school diploma or a GED
  • Meet enrollment status requirements
  • Be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Must not be in default on a Title IV student loan borrowed for attendance at any institution
  • Be registered with the Selective Service System
  • Must not have borrowed in excess of Title IV loan limits
  • Must not owe a repayment on a Title IV grant of scholarship received for attendance at any institution
  • Must maintain satisfactory academic progress
Year-Round Pell
An eligible student may now receive a full Federal Pell Grant award for summer 2019 even if they will receive a full Federal Pell Grant award during the fall and spring semesters.
Year-round Pell allows students to receive up to 150 percent of a regular grant award over the course of the academic year so that they can continue taking classes in the summer and finish their degree faster or even complete their degree earlier.
To be eligible for additional Pell Grant funds:
  • Student must be eligible to receive Pell Grant funds for the payment period.
  • Student must be enrolled at least half-time in the payment period(s) (6 credit hours) during the semester the student exceeds 100 percent of the Pell award.
  • Student must be maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Financial Aid eligibility is established on the 7th day of the semester.

Remedial Courses and Federal Aid

  • Aid eligibility is limited to a maximum of 30 equated credits of remedial coursework.


Please contact or visit the Office of Financial Aid for further details.


Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

TAP is a New York State education grant which helps full-time students meet their tuition costs. You must be a U.S. Citizen or a Permanent Resident, who has lived in the State of New York for at least one year prior to the first term for which you are seeking payment. You must also meet certain income and enrollment criteria.

City University Supplemental Tuition Assistance (CUSTA)

CUSTA is a City University administered program to assist students who experience a reduction in their TAP award in their 5th semester of TAP eligibility.

Aid for Part Time Student (APTS)

APTS is a New York State tuition grant for part-time students who are a U.S. Citizen or a Permanent Resident. You must have lived in the State of New York for at least one year prior to the first term for which you are seeking payment. You must meet certain income criteria and must be enrolled for at least six (6) credits but fewer than twelve (12) credits.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

FWS is a program that provides part-time jobs to students who need additional financial aid. Jobs are available both on and off campus. You can apply for Federal Work Study by indicating YES on question #31 on your FAFSA on the Web.

Federal SEOG (FSEOG)

FSEOG is a grant which assists exceptionally needy students and is intended to supplement other forms of financial aid. A student is not required to repay this grant.

Search for Evaluation, Education and Knowledge (SEEK)

SEEK is a program which provides higher education opportunity for educational and economical disadvantaged students. Students are provided with specialized counseling, tutorial services, academic instruction, and an additional financial aid stipend for books and fees. Requirements for eligibility are on the Freshmen Application for Admissions.

Accelerated Study in Associate Programs (ASAP)

ASAP assist students in earning their associate degree within three years by providing comprehensive advisement, career development, academic supports, and financial resources, including waivers for tuition and fees (for students in receipt of financial aid), MTA MetroCards, and textbook vouchers. To learn more about ASAP eligibility, visit


William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program

This program provides federally insured, low interest, long term loans to students in order to help cover the costs of attending college. The Federal Government is the lender of this loan thereby allowing the students to obtain it directly through the college. Students who want to apply for a Direct Loan must first file a FAFSA application. There are two types of Direct Loan: (1) Subsidized – the federal government pays the interest while the student is in school; eligibility is based on financial need. (2) Unsubsidized – Available regardless of financial need. Interest is charged to the student while he/she is in school. An entrance and exit counseling interview, is required. Repayment begins six (6) months after graduation, or if you register for less than (6) credits or if there is termination of attendance.

Private Educational Loans

Alternative Loans are offered through private lenders and are meant to provide additional educational funding only after a student and his/her family has exhausted all other sources of funding such as federal and state aid.  These loans are not guaranteed by the federal government and may carry high interest rates and origination fees. All alternative loans require a credit check and most will require a cosigner if the borrower has little or negative credit history.
CUNY does not recommend any specific lender/programs.  Contact the lender of your choice for details about their program and application process.