CERTIFICATE IN PRACTICAL NURSING (CPN)
The Practical Nursing Certificate Program is eighteen (18) months in length. Medgar Evers College provides an opportunity to eligible applicants for entry into a Practical Nurse Program. The Practical Nurse Program of study is an upward mobility opportunity for selected applicants to achieve a Certificate in Nursing. Upon completion, the graduate of the PN Program is eligible to sit for the NCLEX-PN.
- Provide a program of study designed for students who wish to qualify to sit for the National Council Licensure Examination for the Practical Nurse (NCLEX- PN).
- Prepare the graduate to practice under the direction of the Registered Nurse.
- Provide a basic foundation for upward mobility in Nursing.
Applicants to the Certificate in Practical Nurse Program at Medgar Evers College must:
- Hold a High School Diploma or a General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
- Complete all basic skills course work prior to admission into the Nursing major.
- Take and pass all three (3) areas of the CUNY Skills Assessment Examinations (Reading, Writing, and Mathematics) prior to entry into the CPN Program of study.
- Achieve a satisfactory score on the NLN Pre-entrance Examination.
- Provide current medical clearance to include New York State Department of Health requirements.
- Attend Mandatory Nursing orientation upon acceptance.
- Possess current CPR Certification from the American Heart Association.
- Have a satisfactory Physical Examination record on file which includes Hepatitis B testing.
- Purchase of MEC Nursing student uniform upon acceptance into the first Nursing course.
- Meet all requirements as outlined by the Department.
CERTIFICATE IN PRACTICAL NURSING (CPN) PROGRAM FIXED/REQUIRED CORE – 12 Credits
|ENGL 112||College Composition I||3|
|BIO 104||Human Body Structure and function||4|
|NUR 023||Introduction to Practical Nursing||2|
|NUR/C/L 024||PN Fundamentals of Nursing||5|
|NUR 026||PN Pharmacology & Calculations||3|
|NUR/C/L 027||PN Medical/ Surgical Nursing I||6|
|NUR/C/L 028||PN Maternal & Child Health & Psychological Nursing||5|
|NUR/C/L 029||PN Medical/ Surgical Nursing II: Specialties||7|
|NUR 030||PN State Board Review||1|
RETENTION/PROGRESSION THROUGH THE CERTIFICATE IN PRACTICAL NURSING (CPN) PROGRAM
All students must meet the following requirements for retention and progression through the practical nursing courses: Achieve a “B-“ or better in science course (s).
Students who fail to receive a satisfactory grade of “B-” or better in a nursing course will be given an opportunity to repeat a nursing course only once. A failure in any nursing course will result in the student not advancing to the next course. Sequential completion of all pre-requisite and required nursing courses with a grade of “B-” or better in each course is required. Students who do not maintain a “B-” or better (minimum 2.7 G.P.A.) will be required to withdraw from the Program.
Medgar Evers College will award a Certificate in Practical Nursing upon the student’s successful completion of all thirty-nine (39) Practical Nursing Program credits. Graduates are then eligible to apply to sit for the National Council Licensure Examination-Practical Nurse (NCLEX-PN). Students are expected to complete the Program in no more than three (3) years.