Accelerated Study in Associate Programs (ASAP) assists students in earning associate degrees within three years by providing a range of financial, academic, and personal supports. To join the program, students must attend an Information Session.
Services We Provide
Benefits received by ASAP students include:
- Access to an unlimited MetroCard while you are in classes
- A voucher to reduce the cost of textbooks
- A tuition waiver for any gap between tuition and your financial aid award (for students in receipt of financial aid)
- A dedicated ASAP advisor to guide your progress from entry to graduation
- Special registration options that help you get the classes you need that also fit your schedule
- Opportunities to take classes with fellow ASAP students to foster community and build your network
- Enhanced career development and academic support services
- Financial and Academic resources to help students in selecting majors earn bachelor's degrees in four years; eligibility criteria apply.
All students must:
Complete all CUNY admissions requirements, including the CUNY Assessment Test. To apply to CUNY visit: www.cuny.edu/admissions.
- Be a New York City resident and/or eligible for in-state tuition.
- Agree to study full-time (minimum 12 credits per semester) in an ASAP-approved Associate degree program
- All ASAP students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov and the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application at www.hesc.ny.gov each year, and accept any federal and state grant aid awarded (Pell, SEOG, TAP). Students not in receipt of financial aid but otherwise eligible may join ASAP but are responsible for paying all tuition and fees.
- Current CUNY or transfer students may have 15 or fewer college credits at the completion of the semester prior to entering the program and must be in good academic standing (GPA of 2.0 or above).
- Be fully skills proficient or have no more than two outstanding developmental course needs at the time of entry. Students with developmental course needs are required to enroll and participate actively in the Immersion program.
- Students cannot participate in both ASAP and SEEK. Current SEEK students are not eligible to apply to ASAP.
- Liberal Arts (All Concentrations)
- Business Administration
- Science (Concentrations in Biology/Pre-Allied Health and Math)
- Teacher Education
- Public Administration
- Computer Science
- Computer Applications
- Nursing (Highly Competitive Admissions to the Clinical Nursing Courses)
*ASAP students admitted to Nursing Department programs can remain in ASAP for up to three and a half total years, provided that at least one associate degree will be earned within that timeframe. Students who can complete two associate degrees—one in Nursing and one in Science or Liberal Arts—are required to take courses to complete both degrees.
ASAP is recruiting for a limited cohort to join the program in Fall 2017. Program spaces are limited. Information Session attendance is required to join the program. Click the button below for Information Session dates and times and to register.
Call 718-804-8209, email email@example.com or visit the ASAP office in the S-Building (1637 Bedford), Room 206 with any questions.
ASAP provides tuition waivers for students who are in receipt of need-based financial aid (Pell or TAP) and have a gap between their financial aid awards and tuition and fees. Only students in completion of all financial aid verification requirements are eligible for ASAP tuition waivers during the fall & spring terms.
Tuition waivers are not available to students who have lost ALL financial aid eligibility due to lack of satisfactory academic progress, inapplicability of courses to one’s major, course withdrawals, or failure to submit documentation to the Financial Aid Office or the NYS Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC).
Students who are ineligible for financial aid must pay all tuition and fees by the College’s payment deadlines. Students are responsible for knowing their financial aid status and are advised to visit the Office of Financial Aid frequently.
Tuition waivers are typically applied to students’ accounts late in each academic term.
MEC ASAP benefits are extended to the junior and senior years for students who meet designated criteria.
- Complete an associate degree within two years of ASAP entrance.
- Plan to continue at MEC and complete a bachelor’s degree within two more years.
- GPA 2.6+ as of current term.
Eligible Degree Pathways:
- AS-Science (Math) >> BS-Biology-Option A
- AS-Science (Pre-Allied/Bio) >> BS-Biology-Option B
- AA-Liberal Arts (Psychology) >> BA-Psychology
This is currently a pilot program. If successful, more majors will be added in the future.
Ask your ASAP Advisor for information about joining.