Isolation and Exposure
MEC and CUNY will continue to follow the latest CDC guidance on isolation and exposure. Any students, staff, or faculty who test positive for COVID-19 or are exposed to someone with COVID-19 must follow these guidelines, as outlined below, prior to returning to campus. If you are required to isolate, you must receive a negative test or doctor’s certification prior to returning to campus.
Test results will be accepted from CUNY testing sites or other licensed test providers.
Isolation Guidelines if You Test Positive for COVID-19
Everyone, regardless of vaccination status.
- Stay home for 5 days (day 0 is your first day of symptoms or the day of your first positive test if you do not develop symptoms).
- If you have no symptoms or your symptoms are resolving after 5 days, you can leave your house.
- In order to return to CUNY after isolation, you must receive a negative PCR or Antigen test (we strongly recommend an Antigen test, if available).
- Collect the test sample only if you are fever-free for 24 hours without using fever-reducing medication and your other symptoms have improved.
- If your test result is positive, you should continue to isolate until day 10. Following day 10 you must receive a negative PCR or Antigen test before returning to CUNY.
- In lieu of a negative test, individuals may provide a doctor’s certification that they have recovered from COVID-19.
- Continue to wear a well-fitting mask around others for 5 additional days; if you cannot wear a mask, continue to isolate for 5 days.
- If you have a fever, continue isolation until you are fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medication.
- If you are severely ill with COVID-19, you should isolate for at least 10 days. Consult your doctor before ending isolation.
If You Were Exposed to Someone with COVID-19
Everyone, regardless of vaccination status:
- Do not need to quarantine
- Wear a well-fitting mask around others for 10 days
- Get tested at least 5 days after your close contact (the date of your exposure is considered day 0); if you test positive, stay home and isolate per the guidelines above.
- If your exposure is from someone you live with, you must reach out to the Campus Coronavirus Liasion (Mohamed Bangura, at Mbangura@mec.cuny.edu).
- If you develop symptoms, get a test, stay home and follow the isolation guidelines above.