If you are a MEC student whose CUNY Assessment Test scores indicate that you need to improve your reading, writing, and/or math skills, CUNY Start may be the program for you. CUNY Start can help you start out stronger in college and reduce the amount of time you have to spend in remedial/developmental classes:
- Tuition Cost of $75 for all of your developmental needs if eligible
- Get two chances to re-take and improve your scores on the CUNY Assessment Tests
- Morning & Evening classes available
- Save your financial aid dollars for credit classes
- Be better prepared for the challenges of college-level academic work
- Have full access to campus resources – academic and career advising, counseling and health services, computer labs and printing, fitness facilities, and more.
To qualify for CUNY Start, students must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Accepted into Medgar Evers College for the current semester
- Taken the CUNY Assessment exams, and have a developmental need in Writing and Math, or Math only
- Ability to commit to a full-time program, Monday-Friday, 25 hours a week or a Part- Time program, Monday- Thursday, 20 hours a week for a semester long
- New Freshman or continuing student with 12 or fewer completed credits
Only 100 students are accepted into CUNY Start per semester. Interested candidates must undergo a comprehensive application process, including the following:
- Attend an Information Session
- To RSVP for a Fall 2016 Information Session, please click here
- Complete an Online Application and Writing Sample
- Participate in an Interview
To help students prepare for success in and beyond college, CUNY Start provides intensive instruction in academic reading/writing, math, and college readiness. We also offer personalized advisement to help students overcome challenges and reach their academic goals. The program enrolls students who have been accepted to MEC because they have a high school or GED diploma, but may need extra support to prepare for college-level work based on their CUNY Assessment Test scores.
The CUNY Start program provides daily classes in math and reading/writing, and a weekly college success workshop.
Pre-College Math: Pre-College Math focuses in-depth on pre-algebra and algebra topics in an interactive and supportive learning environment.
Academic Reading/Writing: This class helps students strengthen skills in argumentative and analytic writing, and college-level reading.
College Readiness: This weekly workshop teaches students about college systems and campus resources, educational requirements related to one’s career goals, and strategies for success in and beyond college.
For More Information
Contact CUNY Start at (718) 270-6161 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also visit our office at 1637 Bedford Avenue, #S-207.