9 am – 7 pm
1650 Carroll Street
Brooklyn, NY 11225
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The Male Development and Empowerment Center (MDEC) provides a holistic approach to male development by ensuring that males students are immersed in a comprehensive array of curricular, co-curricular, and extra-curricular programs; activities and services to broaden their educational experience; facilitate an intensive orientation to higher education and the world of work; and provide them with an understanding of themselves and their place in history by harnessing their potential to become role models and change agents in their communities.
A BRIEF HISTORY
MDEC was formally established in 2001, as an outgrowth of the Dr. Edison O. Jackson Single Fathers Scholarship Fund, which awards students who are single custodial fathers and possess superior academic records.
The mission of MDEC is to prepare young males to take their rightful place in society by becoming productive members of their respective communities. This is done by:
- Guiding young men successfully through their primary and secondary education experience into higher education and/or the workforce.
- Developing in young men an ardent desire for intellectual growth and development in their pursuit of self-actualization.
- Inculcating in young men fundamental values and traits of good character.
- Providing young men with an understanding and appreciation of their place in history as well as their position as role models in their respective communities.
- Developing leadership skills and an entrepreneurial mind-set that will allow them to become change agents in their respective communities.
Pi Eta Kappa Honor Society
Men of Determination
Men of Medgar Week
Math Masters Collaborative
Leadership Development & Mentoring
Larry B. Martin – Director
Stephen Epps – Academic Advisor
Elena Officer – Assistant to the Director
Paul Washington – Director of Outreach