School of Liberal Arts and Education
Education Degree Programs
Associate of Arts (60 Credits) -
Teacher Education:Provides initial preparation in liberal arts and education. The program articulates into the baccalaureate programs.Course Offerings
Bachelor of Arts (120 Credits) -
The curriculum includes a minimum of 100 hours in field experience and 300 hours in Clinical Practicum Experience. Candidates are expected to complete a 27-30 credit concentration in English, Mathematics, Science or Social Studies or Psychology (This is Dual Degree in Education and Psychology) .
Childhood Education: The program leads to certification in childhood education, grades 1 through 6. Course Offerings
Early Childhood/Special Education: Leads to dual certification in early childhood education and teaching students with disabilities at the early childhood level from birth through grade 2 in general and inclusive settings. Course Offerings
Childhood/Special Education: Leads to dual certificate in childhood education and teaching students with disabilities at the childhood level from grades 1 through 6 in general and inclusive settings. Course Offerings
All candidates are required to take all parts of the New York State Teacher Certification Examination (NYSTCE) before they reach graduation (program completion). To ensure that candidates reach this goal, the department offers a series of professional development workshops.
The Education Department encourages all candidates to join the professional organization affiliated with their program of study.
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI) – http://www.acei.org
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) - http://www.cec.sped.org
- National Education Association (NEA) - http://www.nea.org
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) - http://www.naeyc.org
- National Middle School Association (NMSA) – http://www.nmsa.org
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) - http://www.nctm.org/
- National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) - http://www.nsta.org/
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS) - http://www.ncss.org
- National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) - www.ncte.org/