School of Liberal Arts and Education
BA Admission Requirements
In order to be admitted to any of the BA degree programs in Education, you must:
- Participate in a Pre-Application/Admissions review meeting with your Department Mentor (at this point you should have between 45 and 60 credits)
- Pass all CUNY Assessment Tests (ACT)
- Complete at least 60 and no more than 90 credits
- Complete all New York State Teacher Certification Exam (NYSTCE) Literacy Workshops [EDUC 498 LAST.; EDUC 496 Critical Reading; and EDUC 497 Critical Writing]
- Complete the New York State Teacher Certification Exam (NYSTCE) of Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAST)
- Complete all MEC core requirements or their equivalents for the AA degree
- Maintain cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.7 with a grade of C or better in MEC core and education courses or their equivalents
- Complete a minimum of 6 credits in MEC mathematics core courses or their equivalents with a minimum GPA of 2.7 and with a grade of C or better in MTH 136 AND MTH 220 or MTH 231
- Maintain a GPA of at least 3.0 in English 112 and English 150 and English 209 or their equivalents. (You may repeat English 112, 150 or 209 to replace an original grade in English 112, 150, or 209. English 210 or 208 may also replace an original grade in English 112 or 150. English 211 may replace an original grade in English 209 to raise the English GPA to 3.0 or better)
- Complete and submit an application for one of the BA degree programs in Education, submit Pre-Professional portfolio, and participate in an interview with the Education Department Admission Committee.
All BA Degree Program candidates are required to take three (3) to four (4) NYSTCE tests for teacher certification. The ATS-W, CST-Multi-Subject and CST-Students with Disabilities (for dual special education majors), LAST are required for graduation. To ensure that candidates reach their goal, the department offers a series of professional development workshops.
Last Updated Spring 2007