Financial Aid Information
2013-2014 FAFSA on the Web
You MUST file for financial aid every academic year beginning January of each year.
File your financial aid applications for academic year
2013-2014 on-line at FAFSA on the web.
FAFSA Code: 010097
TAP Code: 1415
Your eligibility for SUMMER 2013, FALL 2013 and SPRING 2014 for federal and NY State financial aid can only be determined through the filing of the 2013-2014 FAFSA.
WHAT ARE THE STEPS IN APPLYING FOR AID USING THE ONLINE FAFSA?
- Gather the 2012 Federal and NYS Tax Returns along with other documentation to be used in the completion of the FAFSA. If you will be filing tax returns, we suggest you wait until you have completed them.
- Obtain financial aid PIN #. While you do not need a PIN in order to file a regular web FAFSA, you will need your financial aid PIN in order to file a "Renewal FAFSA" and or to sign either application electronically. To request a PIN, go to: http://www.pin.ed.gov. If you include your email address you will receive your PIN by email in a few days. If your parents must sign the FAFSA, they will each need a PIN too. If you have your PIN or if you do not wish to use your PIN, go to the FAFSA site below. ]
- Complete the 2013 - 2014 FAFSA at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov.
- Do not forget to enter Medgar Evers College’s FAFSA college code – 010097. At the end of the FAFSA form, if you do not have a PIN, print the signature page, sign and mail it. Do not forget to "Submit" the application.
- NEW for 2012-2013: When the FAFSA asks you to do so, click “Link to IRS” (i.e., the IRS Data Retrieval Tool). At that point, your FAFSA will be automatically saved and the link will transfer you to the IRS Web site. At the IRS Web site, enter the requested information. Upon validating your identity, the IRS will display your (and if requested, your parent’s) 2012 IRS tax information. You then have the option of:
- Transferring IRS data to your FAFSA or
- Returning to your FAFSA and manually entering your (and if required, your parent’s) 2012 IRS tax return data
- If you choose to transfer the IRS tax data, information from the IRS will be used to answer appropriate FAFSA questions and you will be subsequently returned to your FAFSA. If you choose NOT to transfer data from the IRS, you will required to obtain “official” IRS copies of your (and if you are a dependent student, your parent’s) 2012 IRS tax information tax returns.
- If you choose NOT to transfer data from the IRS, or are not eligible to use the data retrieval tool, determination of your financial aid eligibility may be delayed because official IRS tax returns or official tax return transcripts won’t be available until late July or early August.
** Word to the wise: use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool!!**
TAP/APTS application filing options:
- After you have submitted the FAFSA on line, you will be shown a FAFSA Confirmation Page. On that page, is a link marked "for NYS residents only." Select that option in order to file your TAP application online. Make sure that Medgar Evers College's TAP code – 1415 is entered.
- If you missed the "NYS residents only" link and if you provided your email address on the FAFSA, you will be emailed additional instructions as to how to complete a 2013-2014 TAP on The Web (TOTW).
Avoid the long lines and file as early as possible! Remember to follow-up on your applications; check on your award status with the Office of Financial Aid, Room S-110.