Applying as a Non-Degree/Visiting Student and Matriculating
Students who are not interested in attaining a degree at Medgar Evers College, but who wish to enroll in credit bearing courses relating to special interests or career advancement, may apply to the college as a non-degree student. All non-degree applicants must fulfill the CUNY and college-wide requirements for admissions. In addition, applicants must complete pre-requisite and co-requisite courses before enrolling in college-level or advanced courses.
*Students cannot be matriculated at two schools at the same time.
The criteria for non-degree admissions are as follows:
- Applicants with prior college attendance must submit a copy of their transcripts as proof of good academic standing.
- All other applicants must submit proof of high school graduation or a GED diploma.
Applicants who have a bachelor's degree or higher may also apply as a non-degree candidate. However, such applicants must show proof ofattaining a bachelor's degree. A copy of a bachelor's degree or transcript indicating date of graduation is acceptable.
*** Please note that non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid. ***
Visiting (Permit) Students: Non-CUNY Colleges
Visiting students are those students who are currently enrolled in a degree-bearing program at another institution but wish to take courses at MEC. Visitors must submit written permission from their institution to take courses at Medgar Evers College. A new letter or permit must be submitted every semester.
To apply as a Non-Degree or Visiting student, applicant must:
- Complete a Non-Degree/Permit application.
- Pay a non-refundable application processing fee of $65 after you have received a Referral from the Office of Admissions, (personal checks are not accepted) to the Medgar Evers College Bursar Office located at 1637 Bedford Avenue, 3rd Floor, Room S-308, Brooklyn, New York 11225. A copy of your payment receipt must be attached to your application.
- Return completed application along with the application fee to Medgar Evers College, Office of Admissions, located at 1665 Bedford Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11225.
Medgar Evers College,
Office of Admissions
1665 Bedford Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11225
CUNY Assessment Test
students who are not exempt (contact Testing Office at 718-270-4835 to inquire about exemptions) are required to complete the CUNY Assessment Test in reading, writing and mathematics prior to registration. Permit students and Baccalaureate degree holders are exempt from taking the CUNY Assessment Test.
Health Services Requirements
Applicants born after December 31, 1956 are required by New York State Law to submit proof of two immunizations for measles and one immunization each for mumps and rubella before attending classes. Proof of immunization is to be submitted to the Health Services Office, Room C-M20.
All non-degree students (including Worker Education) with a maximum of fifteen (15) credits accumulated at Medgar Evers College, and a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 and over, are required to apply for matriculation into a degree program.
Students applying for matriculation status must submit the following documents to the Office of Admissions:
- A completed matriculation application form along with a transfer application. If the student has missed one semester or more at Medgar Evers College, then a $70 fee is required. Please make this fee payable to UAPC (form of bank check or money order only).
Click here to obtain a matriculation application.
- Official college transcript(s) from all institutions attended (i.e. High Schools, GED scores, colleges and secondary schools).
Note: If transcripts and diplomas are in another language, please include English translations as well.
- The CUNY Skills Placement ACT must be done before matriculation.
- ALL CUNY Skills Assessment Test results from previously attended CUNY schools (if applicable).
Students applying for matriculation into a Baccalaureate degree program are required to pass all three of the CUNY Skills test.
Students who have not passed the CUNY Skills Test will be able to matriculate into Associate degree programs ONLY.
All official transcripts will be evaluated to determine credit transferability to the selected degree program.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have fifteen credits or more and have not matriculated a stop will be placed on your records. This will prevent you from further registration at Medgar Evers College until you matriculate.