The Office of Admissions: Transfer Admission
Each year, more than 300 students transfer to Medgar Ever College from diverse educational backgrounds. Some come from SUNY, CUNY, and other public universities looking to restart or continue their college career; while others come from private institutions seeking an affordable college education. No matter your reason for transferring, our Admissions team works with you to make your transition a smooth one. We provide you with the support to begin mapping out your future at Medgar Evers College.
To apply as a transfer student, you must meet the following requirements:
- Have a college GPA of 2.0 or above to apply for admission.
- Submit official transcripts (in a sealed envelope) from all colleges attended.
- Provide an official high school transcript or GED if you have less than 24 college credits.
- Submit $70 money order payable to University Application Processing Center (UAPC).
- Submit proof of residency to qualify for in-state tuition.
- Get started, apply now!
If you are a transfer student applying to the nursing program, you must meet additional requirements. Please contact the Nursing Department at 718.270.6222 for more information.
Once accepted, you are required to:
- Take CUNY Assessment Test prior to registration unless exempted. Contact the Testing Center for more information.
- Satisfy immunization requirement by submitting the immunization form to the Office of Health Services prior to registration.
- Attend a mandatory Transfer Orientation session.
*Transfer credit is granted from regionally accredited institutions, for credit for life experience, and for Advanced Placement. The Admissions Office, in consultation with the Department Chair and/or Academic Advisement Center, reviews students’ transcripts, courses, programs, and other learning experiences to determine transfer credit. Additionally, the College may use multiple evaluations, including third-party reviews by qualified reviewers and recommendations from organizations experienced with such evaluations (e.g. A.P., ACE, CLEP, CAEL). Students may also take department challenge exams.
Through the Credit for Life Experience Program (CLEP), students who have completed at least 24 college credits may submit a portfolio that is evaluated by assessors determined by the department of the students’ major course of study.
Students who transfer into the College after having earned a City University Associate in Arts degree and Associate in Science are deemed to have automatically fulfilled the lower division liberal arts and science distribution requirements for a baccalaureate degree and are only required to complete the course in a discipline required by a senior college’s baccalaureate distribution requirements that were not part of the student’s associate degree programs.
Students who meet a common core or college option requirement in the Pathways Curriculum at one CUNY school can transfer these courses and the credits needed for their majors.