As Director of the Office Environmental Health and Safety at Medgar Evers College, I am committed to the health and safety of our faculty, students, staff, and visitors. The office is here to serve the college community and provide a safe learning and working environment.
The office also serves as the repository for all environmental health and safety compliance documents required by government regulatory agencies.
We are responsible for compliance with local, state and federal agencies. The office complies with regulations from:
- United States Environmental Protection Agency
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
- New York City Department of Environmental Protection
- Public Employee Safety and Health Bureau
The office maintains compliance through:
- Proper management of hazardous materials and hazardous waste
- Preventing the release of chemicals into the environment
- Managing the chemical inventory.
In addition to environmental compliance, the office is also responsible for ensuring a safe and healthy environment for our faculty, staff, and students. This is done by:
- Providing the required health and safety trainings (such as Laboratory Safety and Hazard Communication Standard) to our faculty, students and staff who handle hazardous chemicals and other substances.
- Responding to complaints
- Conducting indoor air quality assessments, mold investigations and remediation, and accident investigations
I urge you to contact my office if you have any questions, concerns or feedback so that we can continue to respond to your concerns and provide you with prompt service .
Mohamed A. Bangura, MS