Study Abroad – FAQs

Why Should You Study Abroad?
  • Learn about a new culture
  • Learn a new language and/or improve and advance your language skills
  • Increase career opportunities/build my resume
  • Increase understanding of self & culture
  • Learn about one’s heritage
  • Gain an international dimension and a global perspective in my major or minor
  • Expand the range of course options/take courses that are not offered at MEC
  • Make international friends/get to know students from other US schools and states
  • Live with a host family/get to know host families
  • Immerse yourself in a new culture
  • Sharpen interpersonal and communication skills through interacting with people from different backgrounds
  • Enhance your self-confidence and sense of independence
  • Have a chance for travel and adventure

Studying abroad offers wide-ranging, long-lasting benefits that will enrich your college education immensely. When you study in another country, you will broaden your awareness of global issues, understand international independence, gain new perspectives on your academic majors, and—in some cases—develop proficiency in another language. Studying abroad allows you to engage firsthand with foreign cultures and learn how to interact with people from different backgrounds.

These skills are highly valuable in today’s global job market. You can also learn how international organizations function and better understand the economic and political issues that affect them.

Your time abroad is an ideal opportunity for self-reflection; assessment of your goals; and the further development of your confidence, maturity, and adaptability.

Where can I study through Medgar Evers College?
Where in the World Should You Go?

It’s up to you! Medgar Evers College students have studied all over the world, from traditional sites in Western Europe, to programs in Asia, Africa and South America. Through individualized advisement and programming, arrangements can be made for students to study in virtually any country. The director can provide you with advice on where to go and how to apply. Schedule an appointment to see what your options are.

All study abroad programs and applications must be reviewed by the Study Abroad Office. We, along with other interested faculty and the host institution, want you to have the best academic and cultural experience while away.

What are the eligibility requirements to study abroad?
2.5 GPA
Completed 1 full MEC semester
When Can I Study Abroad?

You can study for a full semester either in the fall or spring. There are also many programs offered during the January Intersession and summer which are popular times to travel abroad.

Can I study my major abroad?

Yes, study abroad is for all majors. Study abroad is for learning languages, taking general education requirements, major and minor requirements. Students with the following majors/minors have studied overseas: Engineering, Nursing, Dance, Education, Languages, Business, History, Culture, Computer Science and many other fields.

What Subjects Should You Study While Abroad?

First, review your degree audit; determine what subjects remain for you to complete. Discuss with your advisor your plans to take courses abroad. Look for foreign colleges and universities that offer the courses you wish to pursue.

Will I get accepted in the program of my choice?

Each study abroad program has its own selection criteria. Most study abroad programs require a 2.5 GPA or above. A few programs require a higher GPA. If you meet the GPA eligibility requirement, receive good recommendations, and complete an application by the deadline, you will most likely be accepted to the programs of your choice.

Is financial aid available for study abroad?

Yes, if you are a MEC student participating in a MEC, CUNY or CCIS programs, you may apply for your financial aid directly. Pell Grants and Federal loans can be applied to a study abroad program. TAP is not applicable to study abroad, however it can be used for some programs like the New York/Paris Exchange. Please make an appointment with the financial aid office as early as possible to discuss your study abroad plans. It is best to start planning for study abroad as far in advance as possible.

Are scholarships available for study abroad?

Scholarships are available for study abroad. If you plan to apply for scholarships, you need to plan well in advance as scholarship deadlines may fall before programs application deadlines or only come once per year. For summer and winter programs, STOCS grants are available. for more information about STOCS.

Will I receive academic credit for classes I take while abroad?

You may receive up to 18 credits per semester for completion of a study abroad program. For summer and winter intersession, you may earn 3-12 credits, depending on the program. The grades you receive overseas are recorded on your transcript along with the equivalent MEC course numbers and course names.

Do I need to speak a foreign language?

You do not need to speak a language to study abroad. Language proficiency is not a prerequisite in most programs for study abroad offered through MEC, CUNY or CCIS. All programs offered are taught in English unless the program is a foreign language program. It is recommended that you take language on a program that is not a language specific program.

Where will I live while on a study abroad program?

All study abroad programs offer different housing options. The housing options range from student apartments, hotels, home stays, school dorms. Some program offer several different housing options.

Do I need a passport, visa or vaccinations to study abroad?

Valid passports are required for all travel abroad. Some locations abroad require a visa to travel and study in the particular location. All visas are the student’s responsibility. The Study Abroad Office can assist you in determining the visa requirements for a particular location.

Do I need medical insurance to go overseas?

Yes. Medical insurance is required when participating in a study abroad program through MEC. All MEC, CUNY and CCIS programs provide international health insurance and accident insurance as part of the basic program cost. The international health insurance that is provided on programs is from the Cultural Insurance Services International (CCIS).

Can I work while I am abroad?

It is not advisable to work overseas while studying abroad. Most foreign labor laws will not allow you to seek paid employment. In addition, it is difficult enough to adapt to a new culture, without having to worry about finding a job. If you want to work before or after your study abroad program there are many organizations that offer this kind of opportunity or you can choose a program that has a work, volunteer and or internship experience.

Where is the study aboard office located and when is it open?

The study abroad office is located at 1650 Bedford Ave, Room 3010. It is best of make an appointment if you want to learn more about studying abroad. The Office is open Monday-Friday from 9:00-12:00 or 2:00-4:00. Please contact the office to set up an appointment to get started with planning your study abroad program. Contact the Study Abroad Office by phone at: 718.270.5136 or by email at:

Find Us With Google Maps

Medgar Evers College
1650 Bedford Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11225

Site Maintained by Web Services | Text Only | Make the Website Talk |
Copyright 2016. All Rights Reserved