Pre-Departure Planning

Preparing for Departure

Now that you know you are definitely studying abroad, you will need to take care of paperwork and planning for your departure. This is an exciting time prior your travel abroad and you have much to look forward to!

Go to an Orientation Session

Attend a pre-departure orientation to learn more about going abroad. The following topics are included in your orientation: cultural adjustment, money management, academic procedures, and health and safety abroad, what to pack, expectations and the chance to ask questions. If possible study abroad alumni will also attend the orientation and share their experiences abroad and answer your questions. Students participating in faculty-led international travel courses will also be required to meet as a group with the professor(s) leading their course.

Book Your Airline Tickets

Be sure you know the official start and end dates of your program before you purchase your plane ticket. Buying a ticket that can be changed for a reasonable fee is your best option. This type of ticket may cost a bit more than the cheapest tickets, but if you need to change your dates, you will be able to revise your plans without much difficulty.

Students participating in faculty-led international travel courses should consult with professor(s) leading the course before purchasing airline tickets.

How are you enrolled while abroad?

While you are abroad, you need to be enrolled as a CUNY student. If you are going on a CUNY program that is not sponsored through Medgar Evers you must do an e-permit at your home school. Once the e-permit has been approved you will need to get a copy of this and send to the CUNY School that is hosting your program. Please consult the Director of Study Abroad with any questions regarding this process.

Do you need to get a visa for your study abroad program?

Most study abroad programs require you to obtain a visa if you are studying abroad for a full semester or a year. Depending on the country you will be studying in, you will need your passport, acceptance letter, and possibly other documents to apply for the visa. The Web site of the nearest consulate or embassy of your host country can give you exact requirements. Some countries may require that you apply for a visa in person, while others accept documents by mail. This process can take several weeks, or sometimes months, so confirm this information as soon as possible! If you are going on a short term summer or January intersession program most programs do not require you to get a visa. If you are unsure if your program requires you to get a visa please ask the Director of Study Abroad or the Director/Advisor of the study abroad program you are participating on. Find out more about visas at the U.S. Bureau for Consular Affairs web site.

Get Ready for Takeoff!

Get yourself a good travel guide book to the country where you are studying abroad.

Check out online resources for the country you are traveling to and if you are planning to travel to other places while on study abroad read and gather information on these locations as well.

Talk to faculty/students/staff who might have visited the country you are going to. Ask to connect with study abroad alumni or other students going on the program with you. Pack and repack your bags and have a great time abroad!
Find Us With Google Maps

Medgar Evers College
1650 Bedford Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11225

Site Maintained by Web Services | Text Only | Make the Website Talk |
Copyright 2016. All Rights Reserved