Residency - Procedures and Information for the City University

The procedures described herein should be followed when completing the City University Residency Form. Required forms of proof and other relevant documentation must accompany this form in order that an accurate residency determination may be rendered. Please attach copies of your documentation. Originals will not be accepted. The "intent to remain a resident" portion of the form must be completed prior to a residency determination. Under no circumstances will this form be considered unless all applicable questions have been answered. Students requesting residency status for tuition purposes should read the requirements necessary to qualify for New York State residency. In any case a student must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or in a non-immigrant status that qualifies for the resident rate.

Residency Form

Residency Instructions - Documents to Accompany Residency Form
Residency Instructions - Other Eligible Immigration Statuses
CUNY Undocumented Student Tuition Policy
Undocumented Student Affidavit of Intent to Legalize Status 

Qualifying For The Senior College Resident Tuition Rate.

A senior college student may qualify for the resident tuition rate if he/she continuously maintained his/her principal place of abode in the State of New York for a period of at least twelve consecutive months immediately preceding the first day of classes. Students who have attended a New York City or State high school for the two semesters immediately prior to the first day of classes also qualify. 

Required Documentation, Which Must Accompany The Residency Form

The student should submit copies of required forms of proof from the items "a" through "o" indicated below: 

You must submit one from a, b, c, or d 

a)Lease, deed or rent registration form (used for rent stabilized apartments) signed by the landlord, which is either a public or private agency, and the student or parent of the student with the same surname. (Dates must cover the year in question). OR
b) Copies of the current Federal (1040) and State of New York( IT-201) tax returns and the corresponding W-2 form. Responses to Federal form 4506 and New York State form 4506 requesting Federal and State tax information is acceptable if the Federal and State governments acknowledge that the party in question has in fact filed a tax return form the address noted OR
c) Budget/Benefit letter from New York City Public Assistance with the student's New York address covering the 12-month period immediately preceding the first day of classes and including the student's name. OR
d) Benefits letter from Social Security with the student's New York address covering the 12-month period immediately preceding the first day of semester and including the student's names (only for students receiving Social Security benefits). 

Plus two (2) of the following: 

e) A valid New York State driver's license showing the date of issuance prior to the first day of classes.
f) Homeowner's or renter's insurance policy for the year in question.
g) Automobile registration (for year in question).
h) Automobile insurance certificate (for year in question).
i) New York State "non license" which is issued to non-drivers (for identification purposes) by the Department of Motor Vehicles or other official City State or Federal agencies.
j) Voter registration certificate or card.
k) Twelve monthly telephone or utility bills or payment for services such as cable TV showing the student's address covering a period of up to 12 months prior to first day of semester.
l) Twelve monthly bank or credit card statements showing the student's address covering a period of 12 months prior to first day of semester.
m) Armed Forces identification card DD Form 2A (green).
n) Attendance as a juror in New York State
o) Apartment lease signed by the landlord (who is an individual and is not a public or private agency) and the student. If the student's name does not appear on the lease, the "Alternate Lease Statement" may be substituted. The Alternate Lease Statement must be completed and notarized by both the person whose name appears on the lease/contract and the student. The person whose name appears on the lease/contract must also submit proof (i.e., lease, telephone, utility, or similar type bills) of residency at his/her current address for the previous 12 months. 

Alternate Lease Statement Form (pdf) 

In addition to the items indicated above, the college may, at its discretion, require the student to submit additional documentation if it believes that further proof is necessary in order that an accurate residency determination may be rendered. 

Students Under The Age of 18 

If the student has a legal guardian other than his/her parents, or his/her parents are separated or divorced, a copy of the legal guardianship papers or court order indicating legal custodianship must be submitted. 

Non-United States Citizens 

Students residing in the United States with temporary immigration status are not eligible for classification (for tuition charging purposes) as either a City or State official resident, and should not complete the City University Residency Form).
Students who have permanent resident status or are awaiting permanent status (i.e. permanent resident, refugee, parolee, asylee, temporary residency I-688, employment authorization card I-688 A, Cuban/Haitian entrant) must complete the residency form and comply with Sections 2 and 3 above. In addition, these students must submit a copy of their visa, permanent resident card, and any official correspondence from the U.S Department of Immigration and Naturalization Service relevant to their continued status in the United States. 

Proving Intent To Continue Residing In The City, State And Country 

Assessing one's intent to permanently reside in New York is a difficult task. In each case, whether the student is an immigrant alien, non-immigrant alien or U.S citizen from out-of-state, the totality of circumstances will be reviewed. The college may view intent in terms of a student's professed intention to permanently remain in New York, as well as his/her intention not to return to his/her prior domicile.
It must be stressed that the burden of proof as to a change of domicile rests with the student asserting it. The evidence establishing both the change in physical location of one's home and the required intention of making that home one's permanent domicile must be clear and convincing. Where the evidence is equal on both sides of the issue, the determination of domicile should be made in favor of the formerly established domicile, in as much as there is a presumption that an established domicile continues. 

Appeal Procedures 

If you wish to appeal a negative residency determination, you must notify the Medgar Evers Admissions Office in writing within ten days of being notified that you have been determined to be a nonresident. At that time, you may submit a statement to the Director of Admissions indicating why you disagree with the Offices decision. The Director of Admissions will submit the Residency Form, copies of all documentation provided by you, your letter of appeal along with the College’s determination to the Vice Chancellor for Legal Affairs and General Counsel. 

Deadline for Submitting Forms 

All residency documentation must be submitted prior to the last day of the semester. No Residency Form will be accepted after the end of the semester for which the student is applying for a determination.