Founded in 1982 by a coalition of students, faculty, staff and community members, the Center for Women’s Development (CWD) supports the self-actualization of students by providing specialized resources needed to assist Medgar Evers College women students in their pursuit of higher education. The Center’s services and programs promote self-empowerment, self-awareness, and respect of women while encouraging them to achieve academic excellence and hone their leadership skills within a collegial environment conducive to teaching and learning.
Medgar Evers College (MEC) offers numerous services intended to support you in your educational journey. MEC’s Center for Women's Development seeks to assist students through counseling and programming to help them cope with many life issues that would otherwise derail them from the successful pursuit of their degree.
We invite you to call or visit the Center whenever you are feeling stressed about school, family, or life in general. Our services are confidential and available to ALL students. We look forward to serving you.
The mission of the Center for Women’s Development (CWD) is to promote the self-actualization of women in pursuit of higher education by providing the direct services and programs of specialized support they need.
Our goals are to:
- Offer specialized services that support personal development.
- Assist students in addressing issues affecting self-actualization and quality of life.
- Actively engage the College, university and community in proactively addressing issues faced by women students.
- Promote equal access to higher education through institutionalized support including: counseling, advocacy, referrals, and development and implementation of education forums and events.
All are Welcome!
Although its focus is women, the Center is open to ALL with regard to gender, race, ethnicity, religion or sexual orientation.
For information and resource assistance contact the Women's Center Staff at
(718) 270-5155. or (718) 270-4975.